The mother of a 15-year-old boy who is expected to face a charge in connection with the death of 55-year-old Asmat Mohamed Hussain of Lot 23, Dukestown, Corriverton, Berbice, is appealing for leniency for her son.
The incident occurred at about 21:00hrs on August 12, 2026, while Hussain was reportedly in the company of relatives outside One Go Supermarket at Dukestown, Corriverton, Corentyne.
The teenager’s mother, 42-year-old Sherry Solomon of Number 77 Village, Corentyne, told reporters that her son had been helping his brother with casting work outside their home earlier that night.
She said that after they finished, her son went into a nearby shop while she went inside to bathe. Shortly afterwards, one of her children alerted her that his brother had been involved in a confrontation.
Solomon said her son later told her that he had been walking with a female friend and the girl’s younger brother when Hussain allegedly began verbally abusing and attempting to harass the girl.
According to the teenager’s account, he approached Hussain and questioned him before walking away. He later returned and struck Hussain twice in an attempt to get him to back away.
Solomon said Hussain then allegedly returned with a bottle and struck her son, after which the confrontation escalated.
She said her son told her that Hussain fell and may have struck his head, but other persons subsequently became involved and began beating him. The teenager was eventually pulled away by friends and ran from the scene.
Solomon said she took her son to the police station and was later directed to take him to the hospital for medical attention.
While at the hospital, she learnt that Hussain was critically injured and later told her son that the man was fighting for his life. According to Solomon, her son was shocked when he learnt that Hussain had died.
“He said, ‘Mama, how the man could be fighting for his life? He just gave the man two cuffs. How he fighting for his life?’” Solomon recounted.
She said her son sustained only minor bruises during the incident, including an injury to his hand when he attempted to get up and flee.
Solomon said she believes the police are handling the matter properly, but she is appealing for consideration because of her son’s young age.
“I hope he will get out and continue his schooling,” she said.
The teenager is currently in Fifth Form and is expected to sit the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations next year.
Solomon said she wants her son to return to school and continue his education, adding that the family has already experienced setbacks in his schooling.
“I only pray that he will come out in time to go back to school and continue his studies and get to write CXC,” she said.
The mother acknowledged that her son should have walked away from the confrontation but said she hopes the circumstances surrounding the incident and his age will be taken into consideration as the matter proceeds



