AdvertisementSheriff Bar 2
TRAGEDY

More than 10 firms express interest in salvaging MV Barima

More than 10 firms may have expressed interest in salvaging the MV Barima, as the government moves ahead with the process to recover the vessel following one of Guyana’s deadliest maritime disasters.

President Dr. Irfaan Ali said Tuesday that the expression of interest process for the salvage operation closed on Friday and that several submissions were received.

According to Ali, the submissions are now being shortlisted by the relevant agency before selected entities are invited to provide prices for the salvage works.

“In terms of the salvaging of the vessel, I think on Friday the expression of interest would have closed. They have received a number of expressions of interest. Those interests are being shortlisted now by the agency,” Ali said.

The President said the shortlisted companies will then be invited to submit prices to carry out the salvage operation.

Asked how many expressions of interest were received, President Ali said he did not have the exact figure but believed the number was “ten or more.”

He said he was not aware of whether there was a distinction between local and foreign companies, but noted that criteria had been set for the process.

“I know there was a criteria, and companies would have made proposals in relation to that criteria,” Ali said. “That is why there is a shortlisting process to ensure that those companies that meet the criteria…”

AdvertisementLethem 1

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *